Thursday, October 19, 2017

Day 28 Chocolates are important

I'm finally getting over my illness and able to add food back into my diet. Chocolate is the first food I chose to add. Well, actually, nutella. Basically spreadable chocolate.

Prompt: You're the high school sweetheart from the previous prompt. Write your reply to the breakup note

December 25 2061

My Corey,

I miss you. I'm safe.

Wanted to get those out of the way first. Our rooms leave a lot to be desired. 16 of us share a big tent with a bunch of cots inside. The newer guys ran out of cots and get sleeping bags inside. 

I miss your cooking. The food tastes, looks, and just is slop. 

I just miss you. I wish I'm with you. 

I'm doing fine, though. Mostly at the base and just patrolling nearby right now. It's great about that contract. Work hard, but don't go falling for some Aussie coworker! 

There's not too much time to write, but I'll reply whenever I get a letter. Promise.

I love you, Corrine. Wait for me.

John

March 22 2062

Corey,

Things are heating up. We're engaging other groups almost weekly, now. No one's been hurt badly yet, though. We've definitely got the advantage here. Except Aaron was stupid and forgot to wear his helmet. He's alive, he just had to sit there while the doctors dug pieces of glass and shit from his scalp. 

I'd love to see you do yoga sometime. I'll pass on the kickboxing. 

I'll see you soon as we kick these guys back where they belong.

Love always,

John

August 1st 2062

Dear Mrs. Hart,

It is with sincere regret that I must inform you that your son, Corporal John Hart, is currently missing in action. 

I cannot disclose the full details of his mission under confidentiality policies but I hope it will give you comfort to know he is doing a hero's work. Corporal Hart is a credit to you and his team. 

We will utilize our assets to their fullest to find Corporal Hart. 

Yours sincerely,

General Erickson

February 8th 2063 

Corrine,

I'm sorry I haven't written much. Things are very busy here. I'm alive and well. 

Take care of yourself,

John

"Dude that sounds nothing like Hart." 
"Yeah, well, what would you say."
"I don't know, man. Shouldn't even be doing this. Should just tell her he's..."
"What, tell her over a letter that John's dead? You fuckin' serious? I just...don't want her to find out this way. You saw her last letter. She thinks he's dead."
"He is dead."
"We don't know that for sure yet. There's no body."
"There never is."
"She doesn't need to know yet."
"At least tell her you love her. John would."
"I can't. Doesn't feel right. I hope she'll move on eventually." 
"And what until then? You gonna keep pretending to be her lover?" 
"Piss off."

April 2nd 2063

Corrine,

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm happy for you. I hope you two are very happy together. 

John


No comments:

Post a Comment