Prompt 1: Three objects in your childhood bedroom
I've had a few bedrooms in my time. My first bedroom in China, shared with my parents. Another bedroom in a condo we never occupied, bought shortly before my parents decided to make the trek to Canada. My second bedroom in Toronto, also shared with my parents. Third bedroom in Hamilton, though arguably not a child's room anymore, but the first time I had a room all to myself.
Although I've occupied the bedroom in our condo the last, it was for so long my favourite place to be. We would stay the weekends out there, and I'd get my own room, away from the condo my grandparents and parents all lived in.
It's also the place I revisit perpetually on each return to China. Where we have a traditional take out dinner and I flip through my old room.
Item #1: A cheap, plastic alarm clock. Shape of a little boy with a bowl shaped haircut and red overalls like the ones I wore as a child. With new batteries it still works, and shrilly calls out 'Get up lazy butt!'. My parents set it on me as a joke once as a teenager visiting China. I didn't take it very well.
Item #2: A pink and girly as all get out book. Child's book with is simplistic cartoon illustrations, proclaiming in fanciful letters it was a treasury of princess' tales. Simplified versions of Little Women, Anne of Green Gables and the likes adorn the insides. I like to pretend a higher literary interest, but there's so much comfort in munching on a pork bun while sitting on the floor and flipping through this book. More for the memories and nostalgia of a childhood escape than entertainment. But who says children's books aren't entertaining.
Item #3: A musical carriage. A music box in the shape of a carriage, I should say. It's the one object that has since made its way back to Canada with me. I remember when I got it. My mother spurned anything girly for me in hopes of raising me into the boyish daughter she wanted. Look how well that turned out, says me wearing a literal pink ribbon in my hair. But it's lovely, and my mom gave in that day. Gold body and wheels, with a blue velvet top and red jewels adorning it. It plays a tinkling and frankly annoying piece when opened, revealing red velvet lining and a mirror. My first - and last - music box.
Prompt 2: The toy you most treasured
Okay, I'll owe up. I love Pokemon. Loved it since the first cartoon episode. The affair only grew with my first pokemon deck. Heart palpitations when I got a shiny Zapdos card (legendary and rare for those of us who missed the fad). And a dedication to the handheld console games from the first generation of Pokemon Blue (when I was merely 10 or so), to crystal when I could finally play as a girl. My interest fizzled out with the change in platforms and my Gameboy advance could no longer keep up, but Ruby was my last and greatest love. A tiny red, translucent and glittery game cartridge. Over 200 hours logged on the game. The one game that was never reset or lost. And my treasured Blaziken at level 100. I'd argue one of my most tenacious achievements.
Prompt 3: What's stored in your closet
We all like to say we've got skeletons in our closets. For most of us it's only said in joking, although some do imply that they have darker secrets not yet shared. On a recent elective, however, my roommate in the city was deep in her surgery residency. And one day while looking for a broom I found a skull sitting in the closet. Casually posed there as though it were an old hat that no longer fit fashions. I just ignored it and closed the door. The next day it was on the dinner table when I came back.
My closet is hardly so interesting. Just my prom dress that I can't bare to part with. No skeletons except my own when I'm digging in there.
Prompt 4: The next sound you hear and what caused it
My phone's incoming text ding. I caused it, of course. In my panic I've spammed my friends asking for help diagnosing my symptoms. So far I have 'What the hell, go to bed, you're fine' and 'OMG go to emerg'. Helpful, guys.
No comments:
Post a Comment