I'm tired and don't want to cook. Grocery store ready-made-meals for dinner.
Running on practically no sleep and after falling off the elliptical at the gym (I seem to fall off at least one equipment per gym trip), I'm gonna keep today short. That and my laptop's super low on batteries and I can't find the charger.
Day 9:
Prompt 1: The smell of a place you love
The bread section of the local grocery store. God I love it there. Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked bread?
I'm never able to walk past it without a new crusty Italian loaf, a French baguette that invariably smacks someone in the face, or a few dinner rolls to go with the chicken marsala.
There's something about that wheaty smell, so fresh and saliva-inducing. It makes me feel like a legit foodie, picking out fresh bread to go with dinner that night. I'm still crap at cooking compared to most of the food bloggers, but it makes me happy to be slicing up thick wedges of Italian with the creamy chicken and mushroom.
Prompt 2: What you ate for breakfast
Hoy, I sound real healthy today. After the late night and early morning, McDonalds was the only acceptable meal.
The greasiness with perfect gooey cheesiness of the McMuffins. There's something about them I associate with both early mornings and long days.
And somehow that tiny little sandwich kept me full until dinner, despite it being about 8AM between my two meals. No doubt it has the same calorie content.
Prompt 3: Pregnant and lost
"Help me! I'm lost, please help me! I have to get home, I'm pregnant!" As if to emphasize her point, the heavily pregnant woman held her swollen belly. She waddled towards the bemused young man in a uniform green apron. "My husband left and now I can't find him. I don't know where home is."
The young man gaped for a moment wordlessly. Then he managed, "perhaps he's down in the dairy section."
"Honey, stop being melodramatic. I got your damn peanut-butter ice cream here. You hate peanut butter. Why do you want this again?" Escorting his pregnant and distraught wife, the man turned around to the still confused grocery store worker. "Pregnancy hormones is a bitch," he advised drily, then went back to convincing his wife that he only left her for all of two minutes for ice cream.
Prompt 4: Getting hit by lightning
I hear lightning never strikes twice. The electrical patterned scars down my back is a testament to that. I've come to be okay with them, then adapted to them as my unique quality, almost like a mistaken tattoo.
So why the hell do I feel the same electrical cracking in the air around me? I know this feeling, this momentary fuzziness to the air.
I wake up in the hospital later, another set of lightning bolts down my right leg. How'd I get so lucky? Maybe I should buy lottery tickets.
"Mr. Larken? You're looking just fine. But the doctor asked me to let you know that you shouldn't mountain climb during electrical storms."
No comments:
Post a Comment