Day 16: What did you wear to prom? How did you get your outfit, and what happened to it?
It wasn't called prom, something about political correctness, but the formal stirred up as much excitement as any prom. At least for me, anyway. My mother imparted on me the importance of style early on, and took on the challenge of dressing me enthusiastically. Most people start prom dress shopping in February or March. I started in November.
We went through every mall in the GTA, Yorkdale, Square One, etc. I found a beautiful Le Chateau silk ombre dress, silver to dark purple with a bejewelled halter neck. I loved it but it was December and I thought it was too early to be buying a dress, so I let it go. I tried finding it later to no avail.
I had asked my mother what my budget was, and she said within reason. Apparently that included BCBG. I tried on dresses that were $400 minimum in every shade of the rainbow there and exhausted two sales associates, but nothing looked perfect. Nothing was spectacular and made me go 'WOW'.
Eventually, going into February, I was in a state of panic. I found several dresses I liked in the pile of prom magazines I had, but they were all in the States. I was ready to go south of the border for my dress, but mom suggested we make a stop at Square One again for another try. We parked further away because of how crowded it was and saw a small bridesmaid store. We figured, why not, already tried everything else.
We stopped in, and immediately pulled the perfect dress I'd been eyeing. Watercoloured, silk and backless. I pulled a few other dresses, but this was the one. It was my exact size, too, good thing since they only carry one size per dress. I went to the mall to find my shoes and found them in the first store. Bright purple silk heels with gold accents. I took them back, got the dress altered, and brought it home with me.
Halter neck with pink and dark blue jewels on the waistband, dual-layered silk, hand-painted with zebra prints and floral abstracts in watercolour in pink, blue, black, white, and orange. Two silk black straps crisscrossed and backless otherwise. It was gorgeous and the perfect dress for the 'I'm-so-avant-garde-in-fashion' stage. I had a hot pink purse to go with it, and dark blue flowers in my hair.
There's one particular photo from prom night, with me posing with my butt sticking out. Everyone who saw it said I needed a peacock tail attached there, for how haughty and proud I look of my dress. I don't deny those accusations.
I've worn the outfit once more, since, to my first formal event in health sci first year. I haven't worn it since. It's still hanging on the door of my closet in its garment bag. I take it out once in a while to admire the fabric, the patterns, how I'd never wear it again, and the leftover foundation stains from when I had to cover acne on my back.
I've thought about donating the dress, but I love it too much to let it go. I revere it as much as a wedding dress. I forgot one of the important details, the dress was $600. My friends' parents called my mom, asking how she could let me spend that much on a dress I was going to wear once. My mom told them that once was what made it a very special night, and I'd never have another prom again. My next chance to wear a gown might be my wedding day. Consequently my friends' parents all offered to buy them expensive dresses.
I think I'll hold on to it, just in case there's a black tie art gallery opening or when I need a style inspiration. Or to remind myself not to get too fat that I can't fit into it. You know, whichever comes first.
No comments:
Post a Comment