Sunday, November 30, 2014

Day 1 Pilot- introduction and an astronaut's perfect day

So I recently bought the book 642 things to write about by the San Francisco Writers' Grotto. I also recently discovered my writing has gone to shit. Not to brag, but once upon a time my writing actually made people want to read. Now I'm pretty sure the only people who read my writing are TAs underpaid to read my reports on the E.Coli O157 bacteria. Eugh. In an effort to keep my brain from rotting out of my ears during this year off school and to have a creative outlet besides painting my nails, I'm going to go through the prompts, one a day. Okay, okay, so 365 isn't quite the same as 642. A lot of the prompts are tiny one sentences, though. So those will be stuck together into one post. I'll work out the math somehow, swear. On recommendation, I should have a post up at the same time everyday. We'll shoot for 10PM EST. Except tonight, I guess, since this is one of my hare-brained ideas at night when I should be sleeping instead.
 ____....____....____....____....____....____...._____....____....____....____

  Prompt 1: You are an astronaut. Describe your perfect day.

 Day 257
 We are now 257 days into the Exodus mission. We're well out from the Milky Way now. I like to imagine space looks foreign here.

We entered Andromeda 4 days ago. I can almost believe we're still on the Mansfield Space Station but for the lack of sunlight here. Two weeks ago we were in a patch without visible light to us. It makes me think how brave those first Venturers were before me. They left the solar system without an inkling of an idea as to what's out here. Those 50-odd people are still immortalized across the USS (Universal Space Stations instead of ISS now, for some dumb political-assed reason).

 It's unsettling but wondrous to think we have come so much farther than any other humans. Really, farther than any of our fellows of the Galactic Union. I guess this means we hold the upper hand again in the space race with the Omegons. We're the first to reach Andromeda.

 Today we landed on the first planet in Andromeda. It rested in a binary system, so two suns that alternatively rose and set. It was beautiful and pink under its particular atmosphere. I'm almost homesick to see such a familiar light. It even has water, the same liquid water of our long gone Earth. The lands are beautiful.

 I feel like the voyagers of old. Columbus maybe, when he first saw the lands of the Americas. The land here is stable. Geo-Greg tells me they arose out of underwater mountains. They even have vegetation. Not stubbly fungus things that we saw on Terratia, but lush and green. I saw a flower that I can only compare to the hibiscuses that apparently once graced Hawaii. I would have liked to see Hawaii. Earth was long gone by my time, though.

 Further inland we found its advanced lifeform. Our initial off-planet observations were wrong. They are not so underdeveloped as we believed. They're different. Foreign. Strange. 

But so familiar. Androids. Bipedal.

They look like humans. Like us.

 Perhaps the first comet that bore life to Earth came from here. God has it been over 400 years since we lost Earth? How long were we on the moon, trying to fit the population under its domed covers? How much longer have we spent squished into space stations, scattered across the solar system? How long were we denied entrance to the fucking Galactic fucking Union because we had no planet to call our own?

 Too long. This ends today. Today we found a new home. We will have our planet again.

 Our children. I swear to God our children will see real plants. Breathe fresh air. And know the beauty of a sunset over water.

 We have reported back to the USS. They are mobilizing the forces. They will be here soon. We will be waiting here for them. Our stores of smallpox, thank God, affects these creatures here. There will be little of them left when our people come.

 We failed to take Centaurion nearly 60 years ago. They were unaffected by the bioweapons we brought. Too biologically different. But this place, this place we have named Nova Ω, is ours. Today is good. I have fulfilled my duty to my fellow humans. Today is the end of our Exodus. It's the start of our new home.
    ....____....____....____....____....____....____....____....

Okay so I'm pretty rusty with the writing. It'll get better. I hope anyways. See you tomorrow (tonight?) December 1st anyways at 10PM.

 Xixi

No comments:

Post a Comment